Today, we are excited to announce the RTW of Smooth Streaming Client SDK for Windows 8, which provides many improvements, a number of bug fixes and added new features to integrate Smooth Streaming to video and media element in Windows 8 Store apps.
Aligned to this release is the release of Player Framework that makes it easy for you to build rich apps that consume video and provides player controls that you can use in your Windows Store Apps.
Using Player Framework and Smooth Streaming Client SDK, you can build rich media experiences on Windows 8 using the same back-end infrastructure you use today to target Smooth Streaming playback to other devices like browser, Windows Phone, Set-top boxes, other mobile devices and so on.
This version of the Smooth Streaming Client includes many improvements, supports multiple platforms (x86, x64 and ARM) and lights up the following capabilities with the video and media element:
- On-demand Playback (Play, Pause, Seek, Stop)
- Live Playback (Play)
- Live DVR (Pause, Seek, Go to Live)
- Support for video codecs – H.264, VC-1
- Support for Audio codecs – AAC, Dolby DD+, WMA Pro
- Multiple audio languages switching with APIs
- Track-selection for playback (for example, restrict the available bitrates)
- Offline playback scenarios via Downloader Plugin
- Text and Sparse Track APIs
- Content protection – Microsoft PlayReady integration for VC-1/WMA - H.264/AAC content
- Trickplay (slow motion, fast-forward, and rewind)
- Microsoft PlayReady Key rotation
The initial release notes are available through IIS Learn Center and can be found here.For get started with this new SDK, you can download the Smooth Streaming Client SDK for Windows 8 from the Visual Studio Gallery and Player Framework from CodePlex.
For Smooth Streaming PlayReady protected content support, you need “PlayReady Client SDK for Windows 8 Applications” and corresponding code blocks which can be downloaded from here.
For feature requests, or want to provide general feedback—we want to hear it all! Please use the Smooth Streaming Client on Windows 8 Forum thread to let us know what’s working, what isn’t, and how we can improve your Smooth Streaming development experience for Windows 8 applications.